Sunday 8 March 2009

Talking Comics

We all have our 'firsts' and the first comic I actually got for myself was a copy of the Beano probably in '89 in the shop by mine, it had Rodger the Dodger on the front cover making a bet that he could do so many tasks in a day and managed to do it (his friend had to buy a chippie tea) I had a few of the Beano comics as well as a couple Dandy's then someone gave me a Superman Annual and a Super Powers annual, which I have just found recently and that set me off on my whole love affair with super heroes (and add the fact that I was exposed to Adam West's Batman and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and you know I got more hooked.)

It wasn't until the X-Men animated series that I got back into comics, there was a UK X-Men comic that was doing the US reprints at the time and the first issue I was bought was in the middle of a 12 issue crossover storyline that at the time was a bit confusing (X-ecutioners Song) but I got the trade paperback of it last year and it made sense.

Since that X-Men comic (which is probably rotting in a rubbish tip somewhere or in the loft) I've been collecting alot of stuff from Spider-Man to Amory Wars, all in all I estimate I have collected over 500+ comics over 16 years which is a lot of comics and quite a few pennies spent.

The cover of the Super Powers Annual I own, Drawn by Jack 'The King' Kirby

No comments:

Post a Comment