Sunday 22 March 2009

Come back TV

Tonight I watched an old show that I hadn't seen in quite a while on DVD with a few friends. The show was Dinosaurs* and after laughing at the numerous jokes in each episode I got thinking why the show only ran for 4 seasons? OK in fairness I only watched season 1 and a third of season 2 tonight so I couldn't comment on whether the quality of jokes got bad or not. I also started thinking 'wouldn't it be cool if the show was brought back' I wasn't alone in my thoughts.

However with the advancement of technology an animatronic based show probably wouldn't do as well unless it was specifically aimed at young children (which this show wasn't really, more of an all ages thing) and I don't think I could sit and watch a CGI Dinosaurs show, it just wouldn't be as funny. But give Jim Henson's production company the chance to give the show a second chance at creating new stories, I think it'd be a hit.

But what else could come back to the small screens? Revamped shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Doctor Who and Gladiators have proved to be just as popular as they were when they originally aired and Sci-Fi/Comedy show Red Dwarf is returning to the TV for a one off even though the show got to conclude naturally. Could a show like the Young One's be brought back with perhaps a new cast and one of the originals in the Alexei Sayle role (or even Alexei Sayle himself?) or how about a show like Cheers or Taxi revamped but set elsewhere? Who knows but with some of the revamps that have been cropping up recently perhaps TV execs are probably raiding the vaults to see what shows they could mine for ratings.

*The Dinosaurs DVD was a US import which had to be ordered from there just in case you start looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment