Saturday 12 September 2009

Resistance Is...


In some ways I hate it when Muse have a new album out, it's not that I have lost interest, it's more of a case of I fear that what I'm going to hear is not to my expectation.This is one of the very few bands who I have this emotion with, which stems from the fact that this is the band that put me on this music addiction, sure my first album was an Eminem album (but looking back, I got that just so I'd look cool) but this band opened my mind to what vocals and instruments can do other than play music.

Muse's fifth album The Resistance is certainly impressive, the lyrics capture a somewhat Orwellian reality and in terms of sound, its certainly big and yet there are moments in this album which remind me of their early songs such as Cave and Agitated especially on the track Unnatural Selection, while Undisclosed Desires has an RnB feel to it like the way Super Massive Black Hole from Black Holes and Revelations had a discoesque feel to its beat.

Perhaps one of the ambitious part of The Resistance is the final three tracks which form the basis of one song Exogenesis, a classical piece of music which is presented in three pieces, Overture, Cross Pollination and Redemption the orchestral piece from Overture sounds like it belongs on a movie score and in a way does sound slightly out of place until the drums kick in, the vocals are at their weakest on Overture compared to other tracks on the album. Cross Pollination sounds like a sequel to Absolution's Butterflies and Hurricanes especially the classical piano piece that acts as the intro/bridge into this track. Album closer Redemption sounds like it is the closing credits to a film and brings the album to a natural close.

The Resistance
has quite a few influences or riffs from other acts dotted throughout the album from the 80's Doctor Who theme tune on Uprising to the Queen-meets-an Arabian Nights influenced melody to even a Jackson 5 Motown beat on I Belong to You (+
Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix) and while it does detract from an otherwise unique album, it is interesting to hear Muse's take on these riffs and beats.

Overall The Resistance is a fantastic album it's just a little bit schizophrenic with it's style which is something that is to be expected from Muse every new listen brings something new to it. The Resistance is one of those albums that doesn't feel tired even after consecutive listens, it is probably one of the better sounding albums of this year

No comments:

Post a Comment